HEALTH BENEFITS OF WALKING
- Lifts your mood
- Gives you more energy and stamina
- Tones your muscles and strengthens your bones
- Lowers your risk of health problems such as high blood pressure, heart disease, high cholesterol, and type 2 diabetes
- Increases the number of calories your body uses
- Gives you an opportunity to actively socialize with friends and family
TAKE THE GIRLTREK PLEDGE
Ladies, join GirlTrek, a national health movement that activates thousands of Black women and girls to transform their lives through walking. Take the GirlTrek pledge to walk your neighborhood every Saturday! Visit www.girltrek.org.
HOW TO START A WALKING CLUB: 3 EASY STEPS
- Recruit Members
Talk to your family members, friends, neighbors, and work colleagues about your idea to start a walking group.
- Get Organized
Gather and share everyone’s contact information. When you’re in it as a group, you can help keep each other motivated! Determine when, where, and how often you will walk. Figure out your route and decide if you plan to walk indoors and/or outdoors.
- Get going!
Try it out (even if it’s only once) and walk your way towards better health while reclaiming your community in camaraderie.
SUGGESTED WALK IN GARFIELD PARK
Take a Free Walking Tour of Garfield Park’s Conservatory. Tours are offered at the following times:
- Every 2nd Saturday of each month at 10:00 am (registration begins at 9:00 am)
- Every 4th Sunday of each month at 1:00 pm (registration begins at 12:00 pm)